Exercise plays an important role in overall health and wellness, and your recovery can be just as important as the workout itself. Not only can recovery prevent muscle soreness, but it can also help support healthy muscle growth.
Like anything else in the fitness world, recovery is all about having the right tools for the job. So, what are one of the leading tools for athletes? The massage chair. Here’s why.
Why Massage Chairs are a Great Option for Muscle
Massage is an excellent tool for muscle recovery because it promotes blood flow, alleviates tension and helps you relax.
One study looked at the effects of massage right after a strenuous workout. Researchers took muscle biopsies of legs before and after the workout. They found that the massage helped reduce inflammation and boost mitochondria production in the muscles. Mitochondria use nutrients and oxygen to generate energy.
Another study found that massage therapy helped to reduce both swelling and delayed-onset muscle soreness by about 30%.
Massage, as you can tell, can be very effective at supporting muscle recovery.
The Best Massage Chairs for Muscle Recovery
To be effective, recovery equipment must be convenient and easy to use. For example, massage chairs offer the benefits of massage therapy and fits right in your living room.
These massage chairs are loaded with features that promote muscle recovery, ease tension and help you relax after a strenuous workout.
With 3D and 4D massage programs, Super Novo takes muscle recovery and massage to the next level. The 4D programs include variable speed, so massage strokes can slow down or speed up mid-stroke for a truly natural massage experience. These adjustable features are what make this chair such an excellent choice for body recovery equipment.
The Super Novo offers 38 auto programs, including deep tissue and full-body immersion. These programs target tired, aching muscles to get the blood flowing and help prevent muscle soreness.
- The Super Novo features strategically placed air cells that apply pressure to specific points on the body and help stretch muscles.
- Targeted heat. Adjustable heat options soothe and loosen muscles to promote healing and help prevent soreness.
- Unibody track that extends from the neck and shoulders down to the thighs for a true full-body massage experience.
- Zero gravity position to take the strain off your spine and help you relax.
- Foot, knee and calf massager to soothe and relax lower body muscles.
- Bend and stretch function to help improve blood flow and promote a quick workout recovery.
The Super Novo also features easy-access controls, an advanced audio system, a magnetic device holder and Amazon Alexa capability with the help of Virtual Therapist™. It’s the ultimate equipment for muscle recovery.
The Sana chair offers a complete solution for a full-body massage, stretch and recovery. Nine built-in programs support muscle recovery while helping you slip into a deep state of relaxation.
Cloud Touch Acupressure uses air cells to apply pressure to key points on the body, helping alleviate tension and promoting blood flow.
Along with these features, the Sana chair can aid in muscle recovery with:
- Lumbar heat to soothe tight muscles and alleviate those after-workout aches.
- Calf and foot massage to target the lower part of the body.
- L-Track massage for full-body coverage – from the neck and shoulders to your glutes and thighs.
- S-Track massage to follow the natural curvature of your spine.
With an LCD remote and built-in Bluetooth speakers, the Sana is an excellent piece of recovery equipment and will help you relax after a hard workout.
Within the same Ascent Series Collection as the Super Novo, you’ll also discover the Novo XT2 which offers advanced massage features that can aid in muscle recovery and melt away stress.
The Novo XT2 features 35 built-in programs, which include recovery programs as well as therapeutic options. There’s also a Full Body Stretch feature to stretch and elongate muscles after a tiring workout. Stretching can help improve blood flow for a quicker recovery with less discomfort.
Other features that can help with muscle recovery, including:
- Acupressure technology to help stretch your muscles and alleviate tension.
- Dual-lumbar heat to loosen muscles and improve blood circulation.
- A Unibody track that delivers a full-body massage and covers 60% more of the back than standard massage chairs.
- Calf and foot massage to ease aches and pains after a tough run or heavy lifting.
The Novo XT2’s leg rest will automatically adjust to your height, and with the LCD control, you can quickly and easily change the width, speed and acupressure settings.
The iJOY Total Massage offers a whole-body massage and helpful features that can help improve muscle recovery. This massage chair features FlexGlide 360 Technology that’s designed to simulate the same techniques used by professional massage therapists.
Several features can help aid in muscle recovery.
- The extending foot and calf massager completes the whole-body massage experience.
- Built-in air cells apply pressure to strategic points on the body to help alleviate tension while stretching muscles.
- The S-Track follows your spine’s natural curve for an immersive experience.
- Three built-in programs maximize the therapeutic experience.
The iJOY Total Massage is an excellent choice for athlete recovery equipment and can deliver a vigorous massage for a relaxing experience.
The AcuTouch 6.1 offers adjustable features, targeted massage techniques and patented warm air technology to deliver a therapeutic massage right in your own home.
The 3D FlexGlide® 360 and S-Track help reach every contour of your body to simulate the techniques used by massage therapists.
To aid in muscle recovery, the AcuTouch 6.1 offers:
- Targeted massage programs that focus on specific muscle groups.
- Cloud Touch Massage technology that uses air cells along the hips, shoulders, arms and seat to massage and manipulate muscles.
- A foot and calf massager for an authentic full-body massage.
- Warm Air Technology to soothe tension and promote relaxation.
- 9 vertical heights to match your body’s unique size.
As an added bonus, the AcuTouch also has pop-up arm massage wells that hide away in between uses. These massage wells help alleviate tension in the arms and promote blood flow to tired muscles.
Massage chairs are an excellent choice for sports recovery equipment. Enjoying a massage after a strenuous workout reduces swelling and onset muscle soreness, and they enable a full-body massage experience right in the comfort of your own home, which allows you to reap the benefits of massage anytime you wish.
The massage chairs listed above offer that amazing in-home massage, with a variety of options to focus on specific muscle groups for targeted massage sessions. Just a few sessions a week will revitalize tired muscles, help alleviate tension and promote recovery.