Office Chairs for People of Any Body Type
It’s important that your office chair fit your body type, whether you are average height and build, or have a frame that is outside of those “average” parameters. When you sit in a chair, it must be comfortable, durable and fit you perfectly. With so many people working from home and sitting in their chairs for prolonged periods of time, it's more important to than ever to choose your chair carefully.
Here, we're going to cover:
- Features and options that make your big and tall chair a production machine
- A few key chairs that are comfortable and won't cause aches or pains after sitting for hours
- How to measure your body to find the right chair for you
We'll be covering a lot in this article, so be sure to grab a cup of coffee and dedicate some time to finding the right chair for your office.
Buying Big and Tall Office Chairs: Your Guide to Key Features
Like any other chair, there are several features you'll need to look for to find the right chair for your comfort level and needs. These are features that really should be considered with any chair, and they include:
Your chair needs to be comfortable, which means that it needs to be made with high-quality materials, such as:
- Premium leather or Sōfhyde (a luxurious leather-like material)
- Memory foam
- Solid wood base
When your chair is made with premium materials, it will be both comfortable and durable. If you plan to use your chair often, you'll want it to be able to withstand frequent use.
It's important to consider weight capacity when buying any office or massage chair. Check the chair's product description to make sure that it will accommodate anyone who will use the chair.
Most modern chairs have a weight capacity of 250+ pounds.
Don't assume that all chairs will meet your weight requirements. Always double-check by looking through the product description.
Size is especially important for big and tall individuals when buying a chair. The height, width and length of the chair will be crucial not only to your comfort, but the ability to prevent aches and pains in your back.
When looking at size, there are a few things to consider.
The chair's seat depth will determine whether your legs sit properly on the chair. At a minimum, the seat depth should be 19" for big and tall individuals.
The ideal depth for you will depend on your individual height. The taller you are, the deeper the seat should be.
Your chair's seat height should be just right to ensure that you can sit comfortably. Office and massage chairs may have footrests with adjustable heights, which can accommodate a wider range of people.
On average, a big and tall person will need a chair that's about 20" from the ground. For regular office chairs, having an adjustable height is ideal. And for every 2-3" in height, the seat height should increase by one inch.
Backrest Height and Width
The width and height of the backrest will determine whether you can sit comfortably against the backrest. If the backrest is too short, your neck won't be properly supported.
- For especially tall individuals, finding the right height can be tricky. Ideally, backrest heights should be at least 20."
- For backrest width, 20+" is ideal.
Consider taking measurements to ensure that you choose a chair you'll feel comfortable in. Size is important, and these factors will greatly impact how the chair feels when you sit in it.
Recline or Zero Gravity
Chairs that recline or allow you to enter the zero gravity position can help you find the most comfortable and supportive position.
Zero gravity will alleviate some of the stress and strain on your spine. Having the ability to recline will allow you to find the ideal position for sitting without damaging your spine or back muscles.
Armrest Extension and Height
Individuals who are taller than average may want a chair with extended armrests that provide full support in any position.
To prevent cramping, fatigue and discomfort, consider armrests that are just the right height.
Some chairs have armrests that naturally extend as you recline or enter the zero gravity position. Alternatively, you can choose a chair with adjustable armrests. Being able to change the armrest's position will allow you to find the most comfortable spot for your arms.
Frame durability is something that should be considered when buying any type of chair. Some chairs have steel frames, while others are made from wood or other materials.
A solid wood base and/or frame can withstand heavy use while adding beauty to the chair.
A sturdy frame is important because it can stand up to heavy use. If the frame can't accommodate frequent use, it will become more uncomfortable over time.
Chairs That Are Perfect for People of Any Size
An office chair for big guys can come in many shapes and sizes. The following chairs are great options for your office:
Super Novo is one of the leading massage chairs, and with all of the stress of working from home, it's a relief to sit in this chair during a meeting to recharge. Ease tension and tired muscles with the touch of a button.
285 pounds maximum load weight
Seat: 20" W x 18" D
- Virtual therapist fully controlled with Alexa
- S- and L-track massage options
- Remote control deck
- Premium sound system built into the unit
- Fingertip controls to recline, heat or control speakers
- 38 wellness programs built-in
- Lumbar heating to alleviate back pain
- Extending knee and foot massager
- Full-body stretching options
Super Novo is a professional's dream chair, but it's not a chair that you'll sit in all day long. Instead, this is a productivity-boosting chair that offers numerous benefits, including:
- Massage for carpal tunnel and hand pain
- Provides stress and pain relief
- Fits users 5'3" - 6'9"
- Built-in massage and wellness programs
- Zero gravity, which takes stress off the spine and back muscles
- Lumbar heat to ease tension in the back
- Easy use and convenience
You can also connect Bluetooth to the unit for added function. And if you have Bluetooth, you can be the envy of the whole office while you sit back and enjoy a massage on your next Zoom call.
Novo XT2 is another one of our leading massage chairs that are being put into home offices now more than ever. If you want a chair that can offer one of the world's best massages, it's the Novo XT2.
19" W x 18" D x 21"H
- 35 auto-wellness programs built into the chair
- 3D flex massage technology that will adjust intensity and pressure using five different levels
- Zero gravity seating options that cradle the body
- Bend and stretch function to help stretch out your spine and legs
- Acupressure feature that utilizes air cells
- Dual-lumbar heat option to loosen tight muscles and ease pain
- Unibody track offering 60% more massage coverage
- Requires a mere 2" from the wall to fully recline in the chair
- App to empower your control options
- Nature tracks and premium sound system built into the chair
The chair comes backed by a 5-year warranty to provide you with confidence that you're making a smart purchasing decision.
Novo XT2 is one of the leading massage chairs in our collection, and it is filled with benefits. First and foremost, the massage functionality will help you relax after a long, difficult day of work.
The foot extender is powered, so it takes a mere tap of a button to relax.
While you may not be in your massage chair the entire day, it will provide a nice escape from a hard day of work. Simply kick back, put on the massage function and feel the stress of the day melt away.
The Perfect Chair is ideal for people of all heights and sizes. Adjustability and premium materials make this chair comfortable, but it also has excellent features for taller than average people.
400 lbs. maximum weight capacity
Seat and backrest dimensions
- Seat: 23" W x 19" D x 19" H
- Articulating headrest
- Memory foam PLUS
- Solid wood base
- Adjustable lumbar system
- Premium leather and Sōfhyde material options
- Extended armrests
- Multiple color options: Gray, Black, Ivory, Sycamore, Espresso and Cognac
- 7-year warranty
The Perfect Chair has a solid wood base and premium quality upholstery options, including premium leather. Designed to be comfortable for your unique body, this chair has an adjustable lumbar system for added comfort and extended armrests to provide arm support as you recline in comfort.
Memory foam PLUS provides additional comfort and support for the natural shape of your body. It also helps to distribute your weight more evenly to alleviate pressure points that cause discomfort.
If the chair's length isn't quite sufficient for you, a footrest extending accessory is available for manual models of the Perfect Chair. This accessory is ideal for big and tall individuals with longer legs and adds an extra six inches of length to the chair. The extender retracts under the chair when it's not in use to save space.
With its adjustable features, durability and comfort, the Perfect Chair is ideal for big and tall individuals.
While you may not use a massage chair on a daily basis for your work, they're a great way to destress and sit in throughout the day. Additionally, the two chairs that we outlined above (Novo XT2 and Super Novo) have a lot of office-friendly features, such as:
- Forearm and hand area massage – perfect for carpal tunnel
- Bluetooth connectivity
You can even connect to Bluetooth and go to your virtual Zoom meeting while making your coworkers jealous.
Of course, you can also choose a reclining office chair for big and tall users or a static model, depending on your needs and budget. For a lot of users, the key most important thing is to measure their body for their chair.
Do you know how to measure for the ideal chair?
Most people don't.
However, it's easy to learn if you use the quick measuring guide below.
How to Measure the Ideal Chair Seat Size for Your Body
What's an office chair for big guys that is actually worth buying? Ultimately, it comes down to fit. If the chair fits you well, it will be the best option for you. However, if you don't know how to measure seat size for your body, you're going into the process blindly.
If you don't know how to measure, this quick guide will help.
Measuring Your Body for the Perfect Fitting Chair
Seat size is going to be your biggest concern as someone who is big and tall. You'll need to take a few of your own body measurements to choose the right size for you:
- Seat Width: The width of the chair adds to your comfort and also ensures that you can rest your arms comfortably. Seat width is dependent on the widest points of your hips while sitting. Sit in a chair, take out the tape measurer, and measure this area to find the right seat width for you.
- Seat Height: If you have a larger frame, you'll also need to measure seat height. Sit down on the chair, keep your knees at a 90-degree angle and measure from the ground to the back of your knees. Be sure to wear your standard footwear when measuring. This measurement is crucial for long-term comfort and to stave off knee pain.
- Seat Depth: Finally, you need to know the seat depth that works best for your body. Depth is measured by measuring from the back of the knees to the back of your buttocks. Measure along the back of the knee to the buttock. Be sure that you can place two fingers behind the knee comfortably when sitting.
Once you have all of these measurements, choosing a chair will be much easier. You'll find that height and depth matter a lot – often more than width.
The chair's width may be slightly wider than when measured and will allow you to grow into the chair. However, if you don't choose a chair height or depth that's accurate, it can lead to aches or pains.
For big and tall users, office chairs should be comfortable, durable, and functional. Users can use the guide, recommended chairs, and the sizing guide to help them choose the perfect chair for their unique body size.