Dive into Comfort: Massage Chairs for Swimmers
Swimming is a great way to stay active, but it’s also an activity that can be physically demanding on the body. In fact, swimming is considered a full-body workout. If you want to progress with this sport and keep your body healthy, it’s important to focus on muscle recovery for swimmers.
What’s a great way to recover? A massage chair.
Benefits of Massage Chairs for Swimmers
The top massage chairs offer swimmers many benefits for recovery and performance.
A massage chair helps improve circulation, increasing blood flow and oxygen to your organs. Each massage stroke puts pressure on the body, which helps move blood through congested areas. Releasing that pressure helps new blood flow in.
Improved circulation can help with muscle recovery. Along with supplying the muscle with fresh blood, better circulation can also help carry away muscle waste, which leads to a quicker recovery time.
Help with Relaxation
Massage can help with relaxation by alleviating tension, improving blood circulation and increasing your body temperature. The increase in temperature is caused by friction against the skin.
Massage therapy can help swimmers maintain and improve motion and flexibility. Regular massages and muscle manipulation can help keep your joints fluid and less prone to injuries. Alleviating tension can also help improve flexibility, which helps swimmers improve their performance.
Therapeutic massages, like the ones delivered by a massage chair, can also help alleviate pain. Alleviating stress, tension and anxiety can go a long way in reducing pain.
Swimmers may experience pain while training, during recovery or if they are injured. Regular massages can help bring some relief and aid in the recovery process.
Features to Look for in a Massage Chair for Swimmers
If you’re investing in a massage chair to help with recovery or improve your swimming performance, you want the best model for your needs. When comparing the top rated massage chairs, there are several features you should look for, including:
- Size: The size of the chair is important. You need a model that will fit in your room and allow you to use your chair comfortably. Measure your space and keep this size in mind when comparing models.
- Massage type: What types of massage does the chair offer? Does it deliver a rigorous massage? Does it have adjustable features or the ability to choose between different programs? Look for a chair that will deliver the type of massage you want or need.
- Features and Extras: Are there any additional features that you’d like your chair to have? For example, zero gravity massage chairs will allow you to move into a position that will take the pressure off of your spine. Maybe you want a chair that has built-in speakers, automatic programs or a heated foot massager. Make a note of any features or extras that you’d like, and keep these in mind when comparing your options.
3 Top Rated Massage Chairs
1. WholeBody® ROVE Massage Chair
The WholeBody ROVE delivers a moderate-intensity massage and can accommodate users up to 6’4.” It’s a great option for swimmers because it delivers a full-body massage. This chair has a built-in S- and L-track massage system along with a bend and stretch function.
ROVE also offers:
- 8 built-in wellness programs
- Dual-lumbar heating
- Extended foot and calf massager
- Wireless device charger
- AcuPoint detection
- Zero gravity seating
If you have a compact space, the ROVE is ideal. It needs just 3” of wall clearance to move into the zero gravity position.
With stretch programs, heated lumbar, acupressure and built-in wellness programs, the ROVE is an ideal chair for swimmers.
2. Super Novo Massage Chair
The Super Novo is one of our top massage chairs, and it offers all of the features that swimmers can benefit from, including:
- Extended foot, calf and knee massager
- S- and L-track massage
- 3D and 4D massage programs
- Remote control deck
- Built-in sound system
- 38 built-in auto wellness programs
The Super Novo delivers a full-body massage and also has a built-in acupressure system for even more tension relief. Full body stretch and zero gravity seating allow swimmers to relax and recover with greater ease.
3. Certus Massage Chair
Certus is one of the best massage chairs in the world for small spaces. The unit fits users between the height of 5’0” and 6’9”, and you’ll enjoy a vigorous massage intensity. Certus also boasts state-of-the-art features:
- 11 auto-wellness programs
- AcuPoint detection
- 3D massage
- Zero gravity seating
- Cloud Touch acupressure
- Dual lumbar heating
If you have 0.2” of clearance behind the Certus, it’s more than enough to recline back into a zero gravity position.
How to Incorporate Massage Chairs into a Swim Training Routine
If you want to begin incorporating massage into your swim training, you can begin today. A lot of swimmers find that their muscles are tight and stiff before they hit the pool, and most of the massage chairs above have a stretch setting built into them.
The stretch program will help loosen tight muscles and allow you to get into your training faster.
After your training, the true magic occurs. Massage has been shown to:
- Assist with strength recovery, allowing you to work harder each training session
- Alleviate delayed-onset muscle soreness
- Reduce the risk of injury (especially when used before training)
Massage is one of the “secrets” in the world of sports and one of the ways that professional athletes are able to perform at such a high level. Many of the world’s best swimmers rely on massage as a means of staying at peak performance.
If you want to begin incorporating massage into your swim training routine, you can by following these tips:
- Add 10 minutes of massage before you jump into the pool for training
- Allow for 15 minutes of massage after your swim training
You can follow a stretch program before you start training and then go into a recovery session afterward. While you don’t need to use your massage chair before and after each training session you have, it’s a smart idea to go through a session a few times a week.
When time allows, try to fit in a massage.
Swimmers put their bodies through intense training sessions. If you don’t take your recovery seriously, you will not be at peak performance. Massage is an opportunity to enhance your swimming, recover after a workout faster and reduce the risk of injury, too.